Sunday, August 6, 2017

Antique German Dolls

These are my most precious dolls

The first one here is a Minerva doll and her head is made of tin!


Her stamp was hard to get to and I accidentally tore her kid body.  Her body is in rough shape.  I used artist's tape to stop her sawdust from spilling out.  I actually think it's cork shavings.  I don't think her hands are original.  I will have to find some tin hands for her...


Her lower legs are made of cloth. While her dress was off for repairs, I thought it would be good to photograph her beautifully made dress...


The back has lovely hand sewn button holes...

You don't have to have a serge setting on your machine to finish the seems so beautifully.


The undergarments...




Kestner

This Kestner 167 doll head was for sale at a good price on ebay because it's damaged.  There is a crack going down the side of her face.  I found an antique composition German body on Ruby Lane and learned how to attach her head.  She may not be worth a lot, but to me, she is worth a fortune because I'm hoping to learn how to make bisque reproduction dolls.  I'll never afford a real Bru Jne, but the glow of this doll and the mastery of her lips, eyelashes and eyebrows are the best example a future doll artist could hope for!


Her new Lettie mohair wig is a little sparse for my taste.  Although her head has a 9" circumference, I should have bought a 13 for the sake of length and volume.  I could always take the cap part in.  Her dress is handmade and borrowed from another vintage doll.  I didn't make this one, but the lavender is pretty with the red hair.  


I may copy her lower arms and hands with Kato poly clay for the Minerva doll...



Here they are together.  They are almost the same size...



Now to try re-positioning the wig so her forehead is smaller.


1/12/18

Here is a group photo of my dear antique German doll collection:


From left to right: Simon Halbig 1079, China head doll: Kestner mignonette, Minerva, Armand Marsielles googly, Kestner 167, and the large one is an Armand Marsielles 390.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Large 1950s Fashion Dolls

This is my small group of large 50s fashion dolls:      The one on the left say 376 13 eyes on the back of her head. She looks like a M...