Thursday, June 29, 2017

About Me

     Hello!  Here I am, doing a doll blog!  My youngest child, who is a teenager, became interested in creating a china rabbit after reading a book called The Adventures of Edward Tulane.  Well, I don't have a kiln, or even know how to do slip casting, or how to create a mold, so I started researching.
      We bought a large composition ball jointed body and a big porcelain rabbit head with some up-cycled rabbit fur for the ears.  It didn't take long to see that wasn't going to work.  So we started searching thrift shops to find parts that might work.  And then the fateful day happened when Dom picked up a strange looking doll and said, "Please!"  It was only $8 so I said yes.  Then at the next thrift shop it was another "Please!" and another $8 so I said ok.  We brought these strange looking dolls home and discovered that one was a walking Toodles doll with follow me eyes, and the other was an Ideal Miss Revlon.  Both dolls were awesome!  And so it began...
     I graduated from art college with a degree in drawing.  It was a rather traumatic experience and I lost all desire to do art.  Then this doll thing happened.  Along the way I discovered the beauty of old French dolls, German dolls, hard plastic dolls from the 50s, china head dolls, and even Amercian Girl Dolls.  Well, now I have a small collection from my many thrift shop visits and I'd like to share a few pretty pictures, and talk about the history.  I'm also trying my hand at sewing!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Large 1950s Fashion Dolls

This is my small group of large 50s fashion dolls:      The one on the left say 376 13 eyes on the back of her head. She looks like a M...